Friday, August 28, 2015

3 Things We Learned from the First Week of Kindergarten

We survived the first two weeks of Kindergarten and here are a few of the take-aways that we learned.

1. Snacks - Have a snack ready upon arrival home from school. Kindergartners are famished by the time they leave school because so many are used to a mid-morning snack. The first day of school my daughter was in tears on the way home because I had told her that we could have warm cookies and milk after school, and I hadn't baked the cookies yet because the key was that I wanted them to be warm. In subsequent days the snacks have varied from popcorn, veggies with ranch, "dessert bread" a.k.a zucchini bread (she had no clue it had vegetables in it), to simple pb&j's. 

2. Relax - This is my first child to start school and I was starting to become a bit neurotic about it. I walked away from Back to School Night feeling overwhelmed, and started to pick trivial silly things to worry about such as the fact that there was a little boy in my daughter's class with the same name who has a mom that is less than pleasant. I fretted and worried for several hours trying to decide whether I should call the school and have her switched to the other class, but ultimately decided that it really wasn't an issue. The funny part is it must have bothered the other mom too, because the first day of class her son had switched. I also thought I would bawl my eyes out letting her go to school, but it wasn't that bad. It is only a few hours and my two-year-old is thrilled to have extra attention.

3. Pictures - We took some fun "first day of school," pictures a day or so before the first day of school and it made me a lot less stressed about trying to get a few great pictures while getting up early for the first time. Years from now when we look back at the pictures, we won't even remember that they weren't taken on the first day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment