Monday, October 12, 2015

Do It Yourself: Harry Potter Owl Costume

    I've mentioned multiple times that my daughters are big Harry Potter fans. Even my two year-old requests "Potter," before her nap. When I asked my oldest what she wanted to be for Halloween her immediate response was Hermione Granger (with Bellatrix Lestrange as a close second...she likes that Bellatrix has curly hair). The Hermione costume was simple enough -- I shortened an old graduation robe, picked up a Gryffindor patch, tie, and wand, and voila -- Hermione Granger costume! 
     With Hermione's costume finished, I decided that Hedwig the Owl would make the perfect costume for my two year old. She is great at running around and saying "whoo, whoo" and she makes a really cute owl.  The owl costume ended up being really simple, very cheap (I used stuff that I had at home and spent a whopping $4.00 on a yard of white felt), and relatively little time (it took about two-three hours to make and I watched a movie during this time so it really was a great way to spend time).
Materials needed for this project:
-White fabric for the wings and owl body
- 1 Yard white felt
-Elastic (for cape arms and wrists, as well as headband for the mask)
-Ribbon for shoulder straps
-Velcro (for owl body)
-Glue, thread, scissors, etc.
-Cardboard (to make a feather template)

OWL Cape
Step 1. Trace "feather" shape onto 1 yard of white felt and cut out the feathers. I ended up using the full yard for my two-year-olds costume, you may need more or less felt depending upon the size of the person the costume is for.
Step 2: Create the backing for the owl cape by measuring the arm span of the person you are making the costume for and then cutting out a half circle that is roughly that width. 
Step 3: Starting with the bottom of the cape, attach feathers to the cape row by row using either glue or a sewing machine. I sewed mine on because I want the costume to be durable for my active toddler. 

Step 4: Attach elastic shoulder straps and wrist straps near the top of the cape, you can easily do this by attaching them between the rows of feathers (making sure to move the feathers on the other side out of the way before you sew.)
 OWL Body Instructions
1. Start with a rectangle of fabric, measured according to the person you want the costume to fit. Leave enough room for it to wrap around their back and attach with velcro. The length can be cut as desired. I made mine tunic length but shirt length would also work.
2. Attach velcro to each end of the fabric as well as straps, I used ribbon and measured my daughter according to how I wanted it to fit.
3. Sew or glue feathers onto the front center portion of the fabric (the part that will show while they wear the costume, the back will be covered by the cape.) Always start with the bottom row and work your way up.
For my OWL mask, I must confess that I winged it and created it little by little based on what I thought an owl should look like. I didn't take pictures as I went so I created these illustrated instructions when I was done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment