Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Copycat Union Grill's Blackened Salmon Pasta Salad


Union Grill in Ogden is one of my absolute favorite places to eat. I have only been there a handful of times, and cannot say that I've sampled the menu beyond a few popular dishes... BUT that is because I found a dish that I cannot get enough of on my first trip there. I absolutely adore, and cannot get enough of their Blackened Salmon Pasta Salad. This is my first attempt to recreate the salad at home, I need to visit the restaurant again soon to do some tweaking. I will add the changes as I make them, but for now here is the salad. It is pretty good but I definitely need to tweak the dressing.

Fresh Ingredients include:
Tomato (diced)
Olives (sliced)
Mushrooms (sliced)
Broccoli (chopped into bite sided pieces)
Capers (add desired amount as a topping on salad)
Cucumber (peeled and sliced)

Pasta, 1 lb. (Cook and drain according to the directions on the package. I used Fusilli but any pasta would do.)

Salmon, 1 lb.
1 Tablespoon Butter and Cajun Seasoning (enough to coat salmon on one side
In a cast iron skillet, melt 1 Tablespoon Butter. Rub Cajun seasoning on top of salmon. I left the skin on the bottom of my salmon while cooking, mostly because it was difficult to remove. It worked quite well because it allowed me to cook the salmon a little longer to ensure that it was thoroughly cooked. Place salmon into the skillet and cook for 2-5 minutes per side. Cook until blackened and fish is flaked easily with a fork.

Ranch Dressing (We used bottled but I would highly recommend homemade.) The Union Grill menu describes the dressing as a lightly tangy dressing, and I think that is best achieved with homemade ranch. It has been a long time since I have purchased bottled ranch and I was disappointed by the taste of our dressing. UPDATE: A reader informed me that she's pretty sure the dressing they give there is a Creamy Caesar dressing. I recently tried it with this recipe and it tasted great! 

Lastly enjoy! Even my temperamental toddler was a fan of this meal, her favorite part was the broccoli dipped in ranch dressing.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the dressing was creamy ceasar dressing. I ordered a salad, to-go, and it came with the dressing in a cup. When I tasted, before I poured over my salad, it was the unmistakable flavor of creamy caesar dressing. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I tried the creamy Caesar with this salad and it tasted great!

      Delete