Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Taste of Brittany, France: the Kouing aman

     One of the things that I stumbled across in my research on France, is the Kouign-amann (I would assume that this is the official spelling, the menu at Les Madeleines spells it Kouing aman and becuase I am describing the Kouing aman that I tried there I am sticking with that spelling.) It is a cake that was invented in Brittany and it is made from bread dough layered with butter and sugar and is baked slowly until the sugar caramelizes.  Because I am trying to learn about and sample as much from France as possible before I visit, I of course had to try one. 
      To do so I headed to Les Madeleines in Salt Lake City. The menu at Les Madeleines describes the Kouing aman  as "caramelized and crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside." The description is perfect. 
     I have never been to France and so I honestly don't know how the Kouing aman made at Les Madeleines in Salt Lake City, Utah compares to those made in Brittany, France . . . but I will say that hands down this was one of the most delicious desserts that I have ever had. Period. So do yourself a favor and grab one, or two, or a whole box if your wallet allows it. At $5.50 per Kouing aman it is rather pricey, but I am glad that I bought at least two (one for right then and one for later.) 
     Apparently these are so popular at Les Madeleines that they offer overnight shipping to any of the fifty US states. The hours for Les Madeleines are from 8:00am - 4:00pm, Tuesday through Saturday and they are located at 216 East 500 South, in SLC. The parking is metered but there should be plenty available (it is right across the street from the Salt Lake City Downtown Library.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment