Wednesday, March 18, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

     When I first heard about the book All the Light We Cannot See, I immediately placed myself upon the library hold list. I was number 176. I was tempted several times to buy the book because I didn't think that I would ever make it to the top of the list, but with a little luck (and a two-week checkout) it only took three months.
     The novel is set during WWII in Saint-Malo France, located in Brittany in northwestern France on the English Channel.  The story follows the lives of two main characters, a blind French girl, Marie-Laure and a German boy named Werner and shows the life-altering changes that war brings to the lives of each. Throughout the novel, the author does an amazing job of conveying the little ways in which people act with humanity and bravery, despite the difficult circumstances. I think that the way the author ended the book was both realistic and perfect in describing the impact that living through such devastation can cause.
    (This may sound like a little bit of a spoiler, but I cannot help saying that when the lives of the two characters briefly intersect, I half expected that they would fall in love and there would be a happy ending with the two of them together.  Obviously my hope was far fetched considering the wartime circumstances...)
    All the Light We Cannot See was definitely a book that made me think. Each time I set down the book, I thought about it constantly until I could pick it up and read again. I stayed up late for several nights because I wanted to know what would happen next. The format of the writing helped the book to feel like a quick read. The chapters average two-pages and skip back and forth between the two main-characters.
Here's a map showing where Saint-Malo is in relation to Paris. Image Source: Bing.com/maps
The author painted a vivid picture of Saint-Malo, the imagery (both through detailed words, and the cover of the book) is beautiful throughout, so I was curious to see what Saint-Malo looks like. This picture definitely makes me want to visit. Especially because the Brittany region of France is where
Kouign-amann is a specialty. 
Saint-Malo Image Source: Wikipedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment