Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Harry Potter-Camping-Princess Birthday Cake

     We are celebrating a big birthday at our house this week! My daughter is turning five and she is thrilled about that fact. For her birthday cake she requested a Harry Potter-Camping-Princess themed cake, I'm not really sure how she dreamed that one up, but her wish was my command. I think the combination came from the fact that she has been obsessed with Harry Potter for the past few months. She listens to the audio books on repeat, thinks that she is going to Hogwarts when she is eleven, sometimes likes to wear her hair like Hermione, and she has requested a wand for her birthday. 
     When I first thought about how I would put this cake together I looked on Amazon for Harry Potter Action Figures and found that the prince range per character varying from around $10-$149. Etsy also had some cute options for Harry Potter peg dolls but the cost of a complete set varied so much that I decided that I should just make my own. They're not perfect by any means, but I don't think they were a fail either...although my daughter commented that Lord Voldermort looks like a Chinese guy.  It is relatively easy to guess the characters, and I spent less than $10 to make most of the characters. The peg dolls were from Amazon but you could order those anywhere. 
    To tie the Harry Potter, princess, and camping concepts together I made a very simple castle (since princesses and witches and wizards all reside in castles) using different sized round baking dishes. In the last book Harry, Ron, and Hermione camp for a portion of the book and so I decided to have them camp on the lawn in front of Hogwarts. To make the "tent" I hot glued some BBQ skewers together and then glued some fabric to the wood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment