Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Awakening (A fun piece of art in the greater Washington, D.C. area)

Lately I have been thinking a lot about art. One of the most fun pieces of art that I have ever visited is "The Awakening," located in the greater Washington, D.C. area. The piece is called It was created by J. Seward Johnson, Jr. in 1980. it is a sculpture of a giant who is trying to free himself from the ground. It used to be located at Hains Point in East Potomac Park but was moved to National Harbor in Prince George County, Maryland where he has his own beach. I have not visited the new location, but if it is anything like the old one it was a great place to picnic and spend time on a warm day. There were usually a fair amount of people hanging around and climbing on the statue, so I would imagine that the same thing happens at National Harbor. I think this would be a fun place to take kids, they would most definitely be impressed and have a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment