Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Day in the Life | Summer 2015

Sunday | July 12, 2015

This is not a typical Sunday for us, but I picked it because it was my youngest daughter's second birthday. We were on vacation with my family at a time-share.

9:00 PM (Saturday, July 11) | I try to put the birthday girl to bed but she will have none of it. At home she is still in a crib and cannot escape so she usually goes to sleep pretty easily, but at the condo she knows that other people are up and having fun so she is bound and determined to be part of it.
10:00 PM (Saturday, July 11) | The three girl cousins have all fallen asleep in the living room while watching the Disney Channel. I move my girls to their bed where they blissfully sleep for the next ten and a half hours.
8:30 AM | The Birthday Girl is up and ready to video chat with her daddy. She is really excited to see him because he left for Scout Camp on Wednesday and she hasn't seen him since then. They talk for several minutes and we can tell that she knows it is her birthday and is enjoying that fact.
9:00 AM | We eat a birthday breakfast of donuts out on the porch. I seriously love eating breakfast out there. A nice covered porch is my number one dream for any future house that we own. She enjoyed her donuts very much. While we were eating I taught her to hold up two fingers for her age.
9:30 AM - Balloon fight with Grandpa. Four kids against one adult and Grandpa still managed to win. My niece has long hair and it was sticking up everywhere, as were the curly haired girlies.

10:00 AM - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... She's glued to the screen. The older girls find it hard to keep their eyes open.
10:30 AM | Snack time on the porch. Her favorite snack at home is pickles so I brought her a jar of Trader Joe's pickles. This was our first time trying this variety and they were quite strong. She endured and ended up enjoying them.
10:45 AM | Playing with toys on the porch. Barbies, Mini-dolls, and monster trucks.

11:45 AM | My oldest daughter talks me into letting the birthday girl open a present. She opens an Elmo coloring book and both girls go to town coloring!
12:00 PM | Pool time! 

1:30 PM | Lunch at the time share offices. My parents had to listen to a presentation, we just grabbed the free food and hung out in the rec building while we ate. The turkey sandwiches were delicious, and my girls especially loved the chips.

2:00 PM | The kids play with bubbles, color, and other toys and by 2:30 they are exhausted. The youngest two nap.


4:00 PM | The Birthday Girl wakes up and we call daddy again to chat.

4:30 PM | We begin dinner preparation, a BBQ.

5:30 PM | My oldest talks us into opening presents. She is very excited for her sister and for herself...she almost views it as a second birthday. The kids go nuts over the ice cream shop. The oldest two, ages 5 and 7, take charge. This leaves both two year olds feeling rather unhappy. The ice cream shop kept the kids entertained for a long time.
6:00 PM | I let the Birthday Girl watch a few minutes of Up! on my tablet to cheer her up. Watching a show + gummies + her blanket do the job and when she is happily playing again I finish prepping her cake.
6:30 PM | I make the mistake of leaving her cake unattended on the porch for five minutes and come outside to find that she has helped herself to the frosting, while the older kids watched and laughed. She definitley knew it was her cake. We asked her a few times if she would share her cake with her Grandpa who has a birthday three days after her. Her response was always a solid "No. My cake!"
6:35 PM | We sing happy birthday to the Birthday Girl and my dad. They each have their own cake.
7:00 PM | We video chat with various family members and tell my dad goodbye, he has to go home for the work week. Then we head to the pool and swim until 9:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment