Friday, April 24, 2015

The first trip that I didn't pack the kitchen sink and my seven favorite items.

I just returned from my week-long trip to Europe and I packed so successfully for this trip that I wanted to share my packing list, as a future reference (mostly for me). Usually I pack way too much, and I spend hours doing so. I first put everything I think I might need into a laundry basket and then narrow down from there, taking things out as I go. The process is excruciating and I often end up "packing the kitchen sink." It only took me 25 years (my mom packed for me before that, probably even longer) but this time I tried packing the bare minimum and it ended up being perfect. I had everything I needed and I actually used everything that I brought, which is what I call a win-win! For the most part, the items I brought were pretty simple and unextraordinary. However there were a few items that were "game changing" when it came to how I will travel in the future. Those items were:

1. Brooks Heritage Collection Shoes: I purchased these from Nordstrom's online for $50, specifically for this trip. I liked that they looked ok with skinny jeans. They were so comfy! I didn't get a single blister all week, and I walked for miles and miles.
2. Thorlo Women's Experia Micro-Mini Crew Sock: It has been a few years since I last bought socks, and I have never purchased anything fancier than the ten pack from stores like Costco. I have a brother that I sometimes tease because he is obsessed with fancy socks and he doesn't bat an eye at spending $15 a pair! Not wanting to be slowed down by painful blisters, I decided to give "fancy" socks a try. I bought a pair of Thorlo socks and they were also amazing! I think I will slowly stock up and get a few more pairs.
3. Sunland Microfiber Ultra Compact Absorbent Fast Drying Travel Bath Towels(Purple, 24"x48"): Towels take up so much space but this one did not. And it did what it was supposed to do. I consider it a great purchase.  
4. For my day bag I borrowed my husbands bag, the UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag. It isn't the most stylish bag for a female, but it held a lot and was very secure. I debated on a bag like this vs. a backpack and the shoulder bag won out because I wanted to be able to get my camera(s) out easily and secure the bag in front of me while walking in crowded areas. 
5. London Pop Out Map: I loved this map! It folded down so small and had the perfect Tube map on the back. My Streetwise Paris map was also good, but the thing I loved about the pop out map was the fact that it wasn't so obvious when I was using it.
6. Rick Steve's Audio Tours: I loaded these onto my phone and they were interesting and very informative.
7. Google Maps: Even when my phone wasn't connected to Wifi or the cell network, Google Maps still worked. I could follow my location on the map which made getting around quicker much more feasible. 


My Travel Backpack Included: Rain Jacket, Fleece Jacket, Dress, Chaco Sandals, Tennis Shoes, 2 pairs of Jeans, 5 Neutral Shirts, 1 Skirt, Scarf, Money Belt, Locks for bags and for the locker at the hostel, simple necklace, towel, toiletries.
Day Bag included: 1. Maps 2. Instax Mini Camera 3. Dslr + spare battery 4. Rick Steve's Podcasts on my phone 5. Sunglasses 6. Charger and power converter 7. umbrella 8. Utility Bag 9. Earplugs, mints, lotion, snacks, hand sanitizer 10. Tissues, Tylenol, Pepto 11. Small Journal 12. Flashlight (so that I could enter my hostel room without being obnoxious if I came in after the lights were off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment