Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Favorite Breadsticks

This has been my go to recipe for breadsticks for several years now. They are fluffy, moist, and buttery and are very delicious. I love this dough so much, that I have started using it occasionally to make hamburger buns. When I do that I don't add the garlic butter. I first found this recipe about 5 years ago on ABC News and have modified it and adapted it to suit my needs. 

Ingredients for the Dough
2 T sugar
3/4 tsp yeast
1 cup + 1 T warm water (I usually put the water into the microwave for about 25 seconds)
3 cups flour (I use regular white flour from WheatMontana, but if you want to use bread flour go for it)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened butter

Additional Ingredients
2 T melted butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder (Occasionally I use minced garlic.) 

To Cook
1. Combine warm water with sugar and yeast, proof for ten minutes.
2. Add flour, salt, and butter to your mixer and mix for about ten minutes.
3. Cover dough and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then punch the dough down.
4. At this point you can shape the breadsticks and place on a greased baking sheet and allow to rise for 30 more minutes, or you can allow the dough to rise for 30 more minutes and then shape the bread sticks and immediately bake. 
5. Oven should be preheated to 400 degrees F.
6. Bake for 12 minutes and then spread garlic butter mixture on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment