Monday, November 2, 2015

Pretty pictures and random photography thoughts.

     Fall is such a fun time to wander around downtown and take pictures. It is not too hot and even though the sun sets earlier, it usually means there are less people to unintentionally photo-bomb. The weather allows for versatile attire, and I don't freeze to death.
     Here are a few photos I took a week ago downtown. It is hard not to post them all because my photo subject is so photogenic.


This is one of my favorite walls, it is a hidden treasure located between a parking garage and an alley. 
This is one of those instances where I honestly cannot decide which I like more, the color photo or the black and the white. 
Sometimes when I take pictures it is fun to try and recreate an inspiration photo. Things like determining the angle, pose, lighting, and lens can be pretty straightforward, but sometimes those factors can be tricky. Take for example the following series of photos. I made her toss her hair about fifty times before we finally got a few shots where her hair wasn't covering her face making her look like Cousin Itt from the Addams Family. When I got home and was editing the photos, my husband pointed out that perhaps the inspiration photo used a fan to make the hair blow... that didn't even dawn on me while we were out taking pictures. 
Also I really love it when stores have interesting facades. It is so fun to walk around any downtown street and find color, and light, and shapes. And it doesn't hurt when they sell delicious pastries either. This is the front of Eva's Bakery in Salt Lake City and I first went there upon the recommendation of Sunset Magazine. Sadly they were closed when we were taking photos, but that was ok because it meant we were able to stop for some pumpkin cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory! But back to the point, really wonderful photo backdrops can be found anywhere you go. Simply pay attention to the light, background distractions, and safety and you can find some amazing places.

No comments:

Post a Comment