Monday, September 28, 2015

Making Leftovers Taste Less Like "Leftovers" (Meal Planning with Versatile Recipes) + Bean and Hominy Chili

I am by no means an expert at meal planning but over the years I have picked up a few habits that make weeknight cooking less tiresome. Namely planning and cooking recipes that can be used a second time with a totally different spin on the presentation making the leftovers taste less like "leftovers." I know a lot of people dislike leftovers but I love them! They are great because they make a great lunch the next day, and or dinner on another weeknight. 

One of my favorite combinations of meals that I have found include chili one night and on another night that week, Navajo Tacos. I have several chili recipes that I enjoy, including Chipotle Chocolate Chili from the Our Best Bites blog when I want a really spicy chili,  JalapeƱo Popper Chili when I want a white chicken style chili, and Bean and Hominy Chili from the cookbook Kitchen Confidence: Essential Recipes and Tips that Will Help You Cook Anything by Kelsey Nixon. I checked out Kitchen Confidence from the library because I was intrigued when I realized that I had attended Girl's State with Kelsey back in high school, and I am so glad I did because there are several great recipes in this cookbook.  

Other weeknight recipe combos that make for several great meals include: 
Night 1: Cafe Rio Style Pork Salads      Night 2: Cafe Rio Style Pork Burritos
Night 1: Refried Beans without the Refry made into burritos      Night 2: Nachos
Night 1: Salmon Burritos     Night 2: Union Grill Salmon Pasta Salad (Sometimes I plan for salmon the same week we have Cedar Plank Burgers so that I can have my husband grill the burgers and the salmon at the same time.) 

Additional recipes that can be used multiple times throughout a week, but aren't a meal by themselves: 

Bean and Hominy Chili
Adapted slightly (I hate chunks of stewed tomatoes so I puree them before I add them) from Kitchen Confidence: Essential Recipes and Tips that Will Help You Cook Anything.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
1 (15.5-ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1. In a large soup pot on medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and poblano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add the hominy, black beans, kidney beans, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

When we have Navajo Tacos for dinner I make a quick batch of scones or fry up a can of pre-made biscuits (I learned that trick from a co-worker at my first teaching job) and add leftover chili, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, cheese, and anything else that sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment