Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Palace of Versailles

I have dreamed of seeing the Palace of Versailles for the last thirteen years, ever since I took (and aced with a 5) AP European History. I found things that we learned about famous inhabitants like the "Sun King" (Louis XIV) and Marie Antoinette (wife of Louis XVI) to be fascinating. Learning about the Hall of Mirrors especially intrigued me because it sounded so grand. 

I visited on a Sunday, along with thousands of other people. At first I found myself wishing for fewer visitors, and then I embraced the idea of the throngs of people because I imagine at times the Palace was packed with people. For example when Marie Antoinette gave birth to her first child, about 200 courtiers crowed into her room! The room got so hot and stuffy that she fainted. Anyway I figured all of the people visiting with me made the experience more realistic (wishful thinking). 


Since I used to teach history, I feel it is my duty share a few fun facts about Versailles before my photos.
  • Aside from being a royal residence from 1682-1789, Versailles is famous because it is a symbol of the system of Absolute Monarchy that existed in Europe at the time.
  • The Palace of Versailles is where leaders met and signed a treaty to end World War I. 
  • The core of the palace originally functioned as a hunting lodge to Louis XIII. 
  • Louis XIV, the "Sun King," ruled France for 72 years. 
  • The Hall of Mirrors is 240 feet long and the chandeliers used to be lit with 3,000 candles. 


Before I left on my trip, my four year-old insisted that I bring a picture that she drew so that she could pretend she was with me on my trip. I tried to be mindful of her request as I visited different landmarks. 
Marie Antoinette's room, including the secret door from which she left on the night that mobs came to kill her. 
The grounds were absolutely stunning, and huge! We wandered down to the Grand Trianon, and I really wanted to see more of Marie Antoinette's favorite places on the estate but I worried about getting lost and we were short on time. 
 
The closest I came to escargot on my trip. :)
Since I'm behind the camera much of the time, my sister was kind enough to snap these pictures for me with her Iphone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment