Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"Sunrise" on the Thames

      A friend of mine that studied abroad in London told me that watching the sun rise over the Thames was a must do and now having done this I totally agree. Although I must qualify, I intentionally arrived about twenty minutes after sunrise because I've gotten up for the sunrise before at Lake Tahoe, and it took awhile for the sun to illuminate the lake. The Tube station that I exited from gave me an awesome view of the Elizabeth Tower through the London Eye!
     My sister and I were talking about how one gets a feel for a city, and she explained that she loves the night life because it tells her a lot about the place. While I enjoy staying up late fairly often, I have to say that I have a different theory about how you can get a feel for a city. My theory is that when you see a city come alive in the morning, you can get an even better since of place. London was even more gorgeous than normal at this hour. As I walked along the Jubilee Walk to Westminster Bridge it was fun to see all of the runners out, and see people beginning their commute to work. 
The Parliament building is incredible in the morning sunlight! 
My next destination Parliament Square to see the statue of Abraham Lincoln that was pointed out on our bus tour. It was cool to see the statue of an important American so close to the primary government building. 
I also found one of the most popular phone booths. I was a little disappointed by the graffiti. 
I was back to the hostel by 9:00 a.m., just in time to head out for the day with my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment