Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Quick Photo Tip: Why the time of day you take your photo matters.

I love photography, I always have. In my early years with a camera, what I lacked in quality I made up for in quantity. Luckily that was back in the days of pre-digital camera and so it was a lot easier to part with those shots. Photography became a pretty serious study for me five years ago when we got our dslr, and I'd like to think that my photo skills have grown tremendously in the last few years. While there are many aspects that go into making a great photograph, one of the easiest to think about and improve upon is lighting. 

When searching for tips about good lighting in photography, you will read all sorts of things about the "golden hour," and why it's best to avoid harsh mid-day sun. In those times when you have no other options, there are still some things you can do to work with the sun, such as finding large patches of shade, use a fill flash, or screens to filter the light. Ideally though, you will be able to shoot during the "golden hour". That period of time shortly after sunrise or before sunset where the sun is near the horizon and the light is softer. Paying attention to when the light is ideal, will make a tremendous difference in how your photo turns out--whether it looks like any typical snapshot, or something that stands out as unique. 

My favorite way to use this type of lighting is by shooting toward the light so that my subject is back lit. There is just something about the halo-like glow that illuminates the subject that can really make your photos pop. 
And since I obviously love all of the spring blossoms surrounding me right now, here are a few more photos of the blossoms on our peach tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment